Thursday, March 25, 2010

Shown Up

i went to the gym by myself last night. anna has events this week in the evening so i do not have my gym buddy. but i figured, no big deal. it's not like you talk a lot when you're working out anyway, right?

so i stepped on the elliptical, pumped up "you give love a bad name" on my mp3 player (that's right. i work out to some awesome music) and started to go to town. and i was feeling pretty good about myself. i kept a steady rhythm, and only prayed for death twice in the first fifteen minutes. not bad, if i do say so myself. but then... then i realized why it is so important to have a gym buddy to work out next to you.

as i am huffing and puffing, i notice a little old lady, who has to be at least 80, step onto the elliptical next to me. and i'm thinking "you go lady. way to stay healthy in your old age." ...my pleasant, supportive thoughts quickly ended however, when this grandma starts pedalling at a breakneck pace. she doesn't even break a sweat. and then, to add insult to injury, she whips out a sudoku book and a pencil and starts solving number puzzles! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? i can barely tell you my own name when i am working out, much less strategically arrange numbers.

shown up by an octogenarian. shameful.


given, anna can run cicles around me (literally), but at least she isn't mean enough to mock me with her numeric problem solving skills while she's doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment